Security Pitfalls with Paper Fax Devices
Ask yourself these questions:
- Are some of your most important and confidential documents sent and received via fax - such as purchase orders, signed contracts, employment offer letters, medical test results, financial transactions, etc.? Answer: Yes. All it takes is one lost or misplaced fax or a fax read by the wrong person to cause a breach of confidential information that starts a lawsuit.
- What automatic security action happens to a fax received on your paper fax machine or Multi-Function Printer? Answer: Nothing. Faxes sit there accessible to everyone until someone picks it up and delivers it to the intended recipient.
- Are you protecting confidential information received via a paper fax device? Answer: No. Unsecured fax devices are accessible by anyone that walks past them. They can casually pick up and read them. Outside vendors, visitors, or other unauthorized persons can see everything!
- Do you really know what information is received via fax? Answer: No. Unfortunately, faxes could contain bank informataion, credit card numbers, social security numbers, personal financial data, driver's license numbers, medical data (pre-existing, test results,), etc.
- Can you reproduce a previously sent fax from a manual fax device? Answer: No. After the paper is printed, there is no way to print it again. Wouldn't it be interesting to see what was sent or received from the VP Finance's office at 2:00am on a Sunday night?
- What physical security prevents anyone from viewing faxes at off hours? Answer: Nothing. Even access cards, finger print readers, video surveillence, can't keep anyone who is working late from seeing confidential data spilling out of a fax device. With cleaning crews it is easy to go into secured areas for a quick peek.
GoldFax - Safe, Secure, and Confidential Faxing
Paper fax devices are open security holes. With GoldFax you increase fax security, auditing, and compliance efforts.